Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Plants?

I've been having fun learning and building my "balcony garden." Actually not much of it is on my balcony yet, mostly in my office (which I might turn into a sun room/solarium anyway).

But here's the thing--is this simplifying my life, or complicating it?

There is probably a little of both in there, and I need to be careful to keep the whole thing manageable. It is good to recognize the danger here.

On the good side, I think this fits with the "rational minimalist" philosophy in adding beauty, and causing me to spend time on some things that are life giving. And there is much to learn and ponder about life as I learn to tend these plants (the different environments needed for different ones, the length of time it takes for some to grow--and you just need to let them take that time, not keep messing with them and their soil!, etc.)

But every time, there can be a bit of a mess. There are extra supplies, and I need to make sure to keep them put away. When everything is in its place, there is beauty, and joy that comes from observing.

And, there is also the distraction. Sometimes I come in the office and need to work, but see the plants--it's where a lot of them are now. Hmmm...again, I need to figure this out. In some cases, it might be a good 'break from the serious thinking' I need to do, that lets me come back to the serious thinking able to do it better. On the other hand, it might just be too much of a distraction.

I'm hoping a rhythm will come. I've actually moved some of the plants outside now (between starting and finishing this post), they are not as much in my line of vision, and "out of sight, out of mind." Once things are growing, and I know what I'm doing, hopefully it will just be some daily or every second day watering, with only other set times for maintenance, planting, re-potting, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment